We wanted to share this interesting box office tidbit that should interest all you drive-in fans out there.
From Box Office Essentials, an online industry service that film studios, marketing firms and theater owners often use to get weekend box office grosses reported some very enlightening box office returns for the weekend opening of Fred Claus starring Vince Vaughn and Paul Giamatti.
For per screen grosses covering that Friday, Saturday & Sunday
The Vineland Drive-In in the City of Industry, California ranked #1 in the country with a weekend box office take of $19,827. In fact for the entire nation the top ten theaters ranked on Box Office Essentials website, 9 of them were drive-in theaters. And of those 9, 8 of them were right here in California.
They are in order:
- The Vineland 4 DI (Industry, CA) – $19,827
- The Van Buren 3 DI (Riverside, CA) – $14,735
- The Capitol 6 DI (San Jose, CA) – $11,360
- The South Bay Triple DI (San Diego, CA) $10,115
- The Mission Tiki 4 DI (Montclair, CA) $9,114
- The Rubidoux Triple DI (Riverside, CA) $8,575
- The Sacramento 6 DI (Sacramento, CA) $7,898
- The Solano Twin DI (Concord, CA) $7,000
- Permian Music City 11 (Odessa, TX) $5,372 **The Only Walk-In**
- The Starlite 6 DI (Atlanta, GA) $5,319
Who says the drive-in movie theater is dead?
Not these numbers. Congratulations to Pacific Theatres and De Anza Land & Leisure for their efforts in keeping our Southern California drive-in theaters open and operating for all those devoted and loyal drive-in patrons that keep coming back to share this unique movie going experience with all their family and friends.